About the Fitness
Two closely link definitions are hidden under the meaning of fitness. First, we understand fitness as the state of physical health and well-being achieve by leading a healthy life supported by continuous exercise over time. Fitness is also defined as gymnastic movements repeated several times a week to complete good physical shape. Usually, these exercises are performe in specific sports spaces, such as gyms.
This sports practice aims to improve aerobic resistance, have greater flexibility, achieve muscle strength, achieve localize muscle strength, and achieve body balance (you must respect specific percentages of what is consider healthy in muscles, bones, and fat).
For years, fitness has been booming in the United States, but its importance has already spread to Europe and some South American countries, such as Colombia.
Athletes who attend this sports discipline usually perform a series of runs, squats, push-ups and jumps combined with exercises from fields such as breakdance.
If the athlete maintains a balanced exercise program, the advantages of this discipline are:
- It improved aerobic endurance. The series of exercises are performe several times a week, which is why it manages to increase the development of the cardiorespiratory system and, therefore, resistance.
- It strengthens the physical condition, both internal and external, which also implies an increase in the self-esteem of the person who practices it.
- Avoid stress. The practice of this type of high-impact sports activity helps the athlete to be relax and has less risk of suffering from anxiety or depression
How do I distinguish if an activity is consider fitness?
For an activity to fall within the fitness category, it must be carry out regularly and be fully link to good nutrition and healthy lifestyle habits. In addition, it must meet several criteria:
- Some of the goals of this type of training are to improve the endurance and strength of the individual. The sports routine must be carry out at least two or three times a week.
- It is imperative that the person who performs fitness has an excellent physical condition and presents localized muscular resistance. When the activity is practic, the athlete will have the necessary resistance to maintain a muscle in tension for a prolonged period. Or repeat the same series of movements several times.
- Have flexibility. These exercises require a lot of warm-ups, so the athlete must have flexibility throughout the body.
- Fitness requires the athlete to have a harmonious physical shape and maintain normal fat levels. In men between 18 and 20 per cent and women between 22 and 24 per cent.
To get in good physical shape, fitness relies on some machines. The elliptical, exercise bike, rows, stair simulator, and treadmills are the most used. In addition, they also often use bodybuilding equipment to reinforce muscle training. Increase the strength to perform the series of exercises.
fitness vs bodybuilding
In the United States, there is often a category call fitness in bodybuilding competitions. However, although the appearance of fitness has displaced the participation of women in bodybuilding. They are not similar since, in bodybuilding, they compete for aesthetics, while in fitness, the participants have to perform a series of exercises.
The main differences between these two concepts are:
- Fitness aims to improve the state of the body by training the muscles. Bodybuilding only seeks to enhance strengths.
- Fitness imply, in some case, that body mass is lost. Bodybuilding requires that body mass be increase.
- In fitness, athletes combine aerobic and anaerobic exercises, while anaerobic strength exercises are mainly performe in bodybuilding.