Womens Day Blog

Why we Love Zinc Sunscreen in 2023 and Beyond

Image default

Zinc Sunscreen – Have you ever used a zinc based sunscreen? Whether images of the Australian cricket team come to mind, or thick coloured stripes on kids faces are conjured, let us tell you why we are obsessing with [zinc sunscreen] in 2023. Keep reading to find out why you should try it too!


What is zinc sunscreen?

Zinc based sunscreen is a mineral sunscreen that uses zinc oxide as its active ingredient. Zinc oxide is a mineral that provides broad-spectrum protection against both UVA and UVB rays. It works by reflecting and scattering the sun’s rays (around 5%), as well as neutralising the other 95%.

Who is Zinc based Sunscreen perfect for?

[Zinc sunscreen] is a great option for those with sensitive skin. Unlike chemical sunscreens, which on rare occasions can cause allergic reactions, [zinc sunscreen] sits on top of the skin and is less likely to cause irritation.

Benefits of using Zinc Sunscreen?

There are several benefits of using zinc oxide sunscreen including:

  1. Broad-spectrum protection: Zinc oxide offers protection against both UVA and UVB rays, which can cause skin damage, premature ageing, and skin cancer. Learn more about UVA, UVB and the UV index
  2. Gentle: Given it sits on top of the skin, it is generally less likely to cause irritation or allergic reactions, making it suitable for sensitive skin types.
  3. Long-lasting: Zinc oxide is a stable and long-lasting ingredient, so zinc sunscreens tend to provide longer-lasting protection compared to some other types of sunscreens. But don’t let this lull you into a false sense of security -continue to reapply every two hours.
  4. Water-resistant: Zinc oxide is water-resistant, so it can provide protection even when you’re sweating or swimming. However you should still reapply every two hours.
  5. Non-comedogenic: Aka it doesn’t clog pores or cause acne breakouts, making it a good choice for those with acne-prone skin.

Who should avoid Zinc Sunscreen?

While [zinc oxide sunscreen] is generally considered a good option for most people, there are some cases where it may not be suitable.

1.    Allergy: Obviously if you have an allergy to zinc, this isn’t for you!

2.    Very Fair Skin: [Zinc oxide sunscreen] has been known to leave a white cast on the skin, which may be more noticeable on very fair skin tones. However, check out Ultra Violette’s modern formulations which promise to leave zero white cast.

Best [Zinc Sunscreen] in 2023

When it comes to the very [best zinc sunscreen] formula in 2023, we vote Ultra Violette’s Lean Screen SPF50+. It’s a zinc oxide based formula offering SPF50+ protection. Ideal for sensitivity, it’s also happily fragrance-free. There is zero white cast and the texture never feels thick or heavy. Particularly soothing on sensitive skin and acne prone skin, it sets with a subtle matte finish. Gorgeous!

Inspired to try a sunscreen made with zinc in 2023? Give it a whirl and let us know what you think in the comments! Remember sunscreen is just one part of sun protection and you should look to wear protective clothing including a broad brimmed hat and sunglasses, as well as seek shade. When it comes to the very best zinc sunscreen formula in 2023, we vote Ultra Violette’s Lean Screen SPF50+.

Also Read: 7 Best Ways for Supporting Someone During Menopause

Users also Read